Book a free online consultation with an experienced doctor.
Why does one need a Cardiac Angioplasty procedure?
A cardiac angioplasty procedure is advised by a Coronary Angioplasty Specialist if a patient is diagnosed with severely reduced blood flow (ischemia) to an area of heart muscle caused by one or more narrowed coronary arteries. The reduced blood flow is caused because of plaques made up mostly of cholesterol buildup on your artery walls eventually restricting blood flow.
During an angioplasty procedure, your vascular surgeon inflates a small balloon that helps to widen your blood vessel and places a small wire mesh tube called a stent that supports the artery walls by keeping the vessels wide open and reduces the chances of narrowing again. Sometimes, this is also referred to as balloon angioplasty.
Your Heart Disease Doctor might suggest coronary angioplasty surgery as a treatment option when medications or lifestyle changes aren’t enough to improve your heart health, or if you have a heart attack, worsening chest pain (angina) or other symptoms. These conditions can be treated successfully with an angioplasty procedure.
This improves the blood flow inside a narrowed blood vessel and reduces the damage to your heart muscle. This relieves chest pain and may prevent shortness of breath and other symptoms associated with a heart attack.
What exactly happens during an Angioplasty?
Coronary Angioplasty surgery is done by opening blockages in the coronary arteries and restoring proper blood flow by inflating a tiny balloon. During an angioplasty procedure, the vascular surgeon inflates the balloon catheter that helps to widen the blood vessel and thereby improves blood flow inside a narrowed blood vessel.
Finally, depending on the circumstances, a tiny metal mesh tube also known as a stent is inserted to support the artery walls by keeping the vessels wide open. This is Primary Angioplasty/Stenting.
Who needs an Angioplasty procedure?
- If you have moderate to severe narrowing or blockage in one or more of your blood vessels.
- If you have symptoms of artery disease, such as pain or ulceration, in one of your limbs.
What is the outcome of the Angioplasty procedure?
- Angioplasty procedure widens the narrowed blood vessels.
- It increases the flow of blood to the heart.
- It decreases the risk of a heart attack.
- It reduces the symptoms of angina.
- It slows the process of coronary artery disease.
How should you prepare for an angioplasty procedure?
- Firstly, the doctor will assess your medical history and do a physical examination and tests, including a chest X-ray, electrocardiogram and blood diagnostic tests to ascertain you are fit to undergo the procedure.
- Once that is successfully done, you will be taken for an imaging test called a Coronary Angiogram to see if your blockages can be treated with Angioplasty. A coronary Angiography helps in determining if the arteries to your heart are narrowed or blocked.
- In a Coronary Angiogram or radial angiogram, liquid dye is injected into the arteries of your heart through a catheter – a long, thin tube that is fed through an artery from your groin, arm or wrist right up to arteries in your heart. As the dye enters your arteries, they become visible on a screen which helps the doctor to see where your arteries are blocked.
- If your doctor finds a blockage during your Coronary Angiogram, it is possible that he or she may decide to perform Angioplasty and stenting immediately after the angiogram, while your heart is under cardiac catheterization.
- Your doctor may ask you to stop taking certain medications before angioplasty and strictly follow any advice from him about regulating your present medications before the procedure.
- Also do not forget to inform your doctor about allergies as well as previous allergic reactions to dyes used in diagnostic investigations.
What are some Dos & Don’ts after Angioplasty procedure?
- There has to be a careful intake of prescribed medication by your doctor.
- You should avoid any straining exercises for at least 2 weeks..
- Be sure to drink 8 to 10 glasses of clear fluids (water is preferred).
- While taking a shower, keep the surgical area clean and dry.
- Do not use creams, lotions or ointment on the wound site.
- Wear loose clothes.
- For 3 to 4 days to prevent bleeding from the catheter insertion site do not strain during bowel movements.
How much is the Recovery Time from Angioplasty Procedure?
It’s important to closely follow your doctor’s advice on medications. You will be temporarily put on blood thinners to allow free flow of supply to your coronary arteries. Do not stop any medication without checking with your interventional Cardiologist.
- After the Angioplasty procedure is completed, there must be an overnight stay for observation in the hospital.
- After the Angioplasty medical procedure, you will need bed rest for a minimum of six hours.
- You will, however, be able to walk with the help of an assistant within 4 to 6 hours.
- Post-Angioplasty your chest pain would decrease significantly due to the increase of the blood flow through the previously narrowed or blocked coronary artery.
- You may be advised light exercises and lifestyle habits to maintain a healthy heart.
- It is important to quit smoking, lower cholesterol levels and maintain a healthy weight.
- It is equally important to keep your diabetes and bp in check.
How does Treatment Possible ensure that the Angioplasty Procedure cost is low?
Treatment Possible ensures high-quality angioplasty surgery is provided while we guarantee the lowest median cost. Our understanding of the Indian Healthcare market and our valued relation with Heart Specialists enables us to ensure angioplasty procedure cost is reasonable, affordable and flexible.
The angioplasty cost is very high in advanced countries especially the stent cost. A USA Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved coronary stent along with the angioplasty procedure in India will only cost around USD 3500 to 5000 depending on the patient’s cardiac condition and vital signs. The angioplasty procedure cost may vary slightly according to Hospital Standards and different coronary stent choices.
Treatment Possible through its expert International patients’ treatment services team and medical tourism professionals has flexible payment options besides offering the best Angioplasty cost package with customized treatment plans.
International patients get a free consultation with chosen Top Vascular specialists in India. Call +91 9820327706 and get a free consulting session with top coronary angioplasty surgeons in India.
If you are suffering from heart-related medical conditions requiring a coronary surgery then please contact [email protected] for free opinion and comprehensive treatment plans. Get a free consultation with chosen top heart surgeons in India with the hassle-free facility of post-operative recovery care, diagnostic modalities, travel & medical stay.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Q1. Why would you need an angioplasty?
Angioplasty may especially be recommended if you are having chest discomfort (angina) due to reduced blood flow that has not responded to medication and lifestyle changes. If you have a heart attack, worsening chest pain (angina) or other symptoms. These conditions can be treated successfully with an Angioplasty procedure.
Q2. How is Angioplasty performed ?
Angioplasty is done using a thin, soft tube called a catheter. A doctor inserts the catheter into a blood vessel in the groin or wrist. The doctor carefully guides the catheter through blood vessels until it reaches coronary arteries on the heart. Cardiac catheterization, also called coronary angiogram.
Q3. What is the outcome of Angioplasty procedure?
Angioplasty procedure widens the narrowed blood vessels. It increases the flow of blood to the heart. It decreases the risk of heart attack. It reduces the symptoms of angina. It slows the process of coronary artery disease.
Q4. How much is the Recovery Time from Angioplasty Procedure?
After the Angioplasty procedure, you will need bed rest for a minimum of six hours. You will be able to walk with the help of an assistant within 4 to 6 hours.