In this post, we talk about what Lymphoma cancer is and how you can treat it if you reside in India.
Lymphoma Cancer Treatment: A Bold Decision You Might Need To Make
Lymphoma cancer treatment uses different kinds of advanced techniques to destroy cancer cells in the lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils and bone marrow. The type of treatment you need to go for depends upon the type of lymphoma cancer you have, the stage of cancer you are in and your overall health. Lymphoma cancer differs from one patient to the other, hence the treatment option is usually tailored to the patient’s need.
How Treatable is Lymphoma Cancer?
Surgery is a very rare option for treating lymphoma cancer. It is usually treated by choosing a combination of treatments from those that are mentioned below:
This technique makes use of anti-cancer drugs that are either given orally or injected through a vein. It may or may not be combined with radiation therapy. Chemo is generally given in cycles that include periods of rest for the body to recover. Each of these cycles may last for a couple of weeks.
Chemotherapy is an outpatient treatment, but in certain cases, the patients may be asked to stay overnight. It involves a combination of drugs depending upon the type of lymphoma cancer and the stage. The doctor may decide to change these combinations if they don’t seem to work.
The approximate cost of Chemotherapy per cycle is USD 450.
This treatment is designed to boost the immune system of the patient in a natural way. In cases where this is not possible, the normal parts of the immune system that have been rendered defective due to lymphatic cancer are replaced by man-made versions. They are aimed at destroying the lymphoma cells or at least slowing down their growth.
- Monoclonal antibodies: These types of antibodies are effective enough to attack a particular target, which could be just a substance on the surface of the lymphocytes. The different kinds of monoclonal antibodies are used to target CD20, CD52 and, CD30.
- Interferon: These antibodies can make the lymphomas shrink and stop their growth. However, due to too many side effects, man-made interferon is rarely given. In certain cases, it might be given with chemotherapy.
- Immunomodulating agents: These are usually resorted to when no other lymphoma cancer treatment seems to work. They work by affecting certain parts of the immune system, although their working is not exactly clear.
- Thalidomide (Thalomid): This drug is used in treating multiple myeloma, which is a different type of cancer of the lymphocytes.
- Lenalidomide (Revlimid): Being a newer type of drug-like thalidomide, Revlimid is generally used to treat certain types of Lymphoma.
This therapy involves the use of newer drugs that target the changes in cells that are meant to cause cancer. This is different from chemotherapy and involves lesser side effects. These drugs include:
- Proteasome inhibitors: These work by stopping the enzyme complexes in the cells by breaking down the proteins that are essential for keeping the cell division under control. Although used more often in treating multiple myeloma, it also helps in treating certain kinds of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Bortezomib or Velcade is one such inhibitor.
- Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors: This group of drugs interacts with a protein called histone that is present in chromosomes and thereby affects the active genes in the body. Romidepsin (Istodax) and Belinostat (Beleodaq) are a few types of HDAC inhibitors.
- Kinase inhibitors: These drugs slow down the growth of lymphoma cells by blocking a protein that is responsible to send signals that help them grow and survive. Zydelig and, Imbruvica are a few examples.
Radiation / Radiotherapy
High-energy rays are used here to destroy lymphoma cancer cells. Although similar to X-ray, the radiation here is much more intense. Correct angles are first determined in order to aim the radiation beams at the proper dose. Although the treatment may not take too long, getting the patient into position might take a while. Radiation treatments are usually given five days a week for a couple of weeks.
Radiation works very well in certain types of Lymphoma if detected early. For more aggressive types of lymphomas, a combination of radiation and chemotherapy can be beneficial. Radiotherapy also works in easing out symptoms that are caused by the spreading of lymphoma to internal organs such as the spinal cord or the brain. The approximate cost of Radiation Treatment is USD 2500 – 5000.
Stem Cell Transplant
The stem cell transplant treatment is advised for those who are in remission of lymphoma or those who experience a relapse after the completion of lymphoma cancer treatment. This treatment will replace those cells in the bone marrow that have been damaged or destroyed by high doses of chemo and radiation. The doctor may decide to use either Autologous stem cells or Allogeneic stem cells, as the case may be.
Apart from the above, palliative or supportive care is also given for patients who have low blood counts or infections.
Check out more valuable information about bone cancer treatment in India.
Side Effects of Lymphoma Cancer Treatment
Although advanced technology techniques have reduced the side effects and risks of lymphatic cancer treatment, there are a few that are standard:
- You may come across hair loss, fatigue, decreased blood cells, sterility, nausea or loss of libido after Chemotherapy.
- Radiotherapy may cause side effects such as skin rash or changes, nausea, hair loss or fatigue.
- Steroids if used for long periods of time may cause insomnia, increased appetite, anxiety, and weight gain.
- Stem Cell Transplantation is generally associated with side effects such as skin rash or redness and swelling or minor pain.
Getting Ready For Lymphoma Cancer Treatment
You may be asked to go through a few tests and treatments to make sure your health condition allows you to endure the effects of lymphoma cancer treatment. These include:
- Tissue biopsy
- Blood tests
- Bone marrow biopsy
- CT scan (computerized tomography)
- Gallium scan
- PET scan
- MRI scan
- Lumbar Puncture
Drink lots of water, avoid citric juice and stay away from people who are infected with cold or flu, especially if your blood count is low. Inform your doctor about any allergies you may have medications you may be taking or ailments you may be suffering from, well before you start lymphoma cancer treatment.
What to Expect After Lymphoma Cancer Treatment?
Although it can’t cure the patient completely, lymphoma cancer treatment does help in controlling the growth of cancer cells. You will need a lot of rest both during and after the treatment. It might take a while for the treatment to complete. Even after you may have to go for follow-up sessions and physical tests to rule out any chances of relapse.
Results of Lymphoma Cancer Treatment
The advancements in research and technology have started bringing in great results in Lymphoma cancer patients. If detected at an early stage, there are full chances of patients recovering from lymphoma cancer.
With the survival rate increasing by 2 to 3% every year, things have started looking brighter for those who have been affected by or are at a risk of developing lymphoma cancer.
For an early response from a case manager, Medical History and Diagnostic Reports can be sent to email@example.com. About almost for a decade, Treatment Possible has been doing and so assures you with wonderful experience along Expertise of Medical Tourism in India.
Treatment Possible invites you for a Free Consultation with chosen Top Cancer Surgeons in India with the assurance of hassle-free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay.
Cost of Cancer Treatment
At Treatment Possible, we are able to ensure the lowest treatment cost for our patients for cancer diagnosis and treatment. We ensure treatment through most advanced LINAC i.e. TrueBeam. At the same time, our rates are lowest in India.
- Cost of PET Scan is USD 200
- Any Cancer Surgery will be provided within USD 4500 – 6000
- Cost of Chemotherapy per cycle: USD 450
- Cost of Radiation Treatment: USD 2500 – 5000
Contact us @ +91 9820327706, so we can make your treatment possible.