Verified By: Dr. Donald John Babu (MBBS, MS, FCPS, MCh – Surgical Oncology, MRCS (UK), FICS) |Updated On March 4, 2020
Table Of Contents
- 1 Breast Cancer Treatment in India
- 2 Breast Cancer Treatment Cost in India
- 3 Types of Breast Cancer Surgery
- 4 Best Breast Cancer Hospital In India
- 5 What are the stages of Breast cancer?
- 6 Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer Treatment
- 7 Hormonal Therapy
- 8 Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Treatment
- 9 What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
- 10 Side Effects Of Breast Cancer Treatment:
- 11 Preparing for Breast Cancer Treatment
- 12 What to expect after Breast Cancer Treatment?
- 13 Treatment Possible Care
Breast Cancer Treatment in India
Breast Cancer Treatment involves the removal of cancerous cells in the breasts. At times it may also involve the removal of the breast which is called mastectomy. Advancements in technology are bringing in more and more treatments to cure breast cancer completely. The breast cancer treatment plan that is advised to you is based on your diagnosis and is unique to your condition. The aim, however, should be to destroy your cancer cells and make sure cancer doesn’t recur.
Breast Cancer Treatment Cost in India
Cost of Breast Cancer Treatment In India is:
|Category||PET Scan (USD)||Chemotherapy (USD)||Radiation Therapy (USD)||Surgery (USD)||Average Cost (USD)|
|Breast Cancer Treatment In India||250||300 - 480||2800||2200 - 3000||4000|
Due to our long-standing association, we are able to ensure the best treatment for breast cancer in India with the lowest treatment cost for our patients for cancer diagnosis and treatment. We ensure treatment through most advanced LINAC i.e. TrueBeam. At the same time, our rates are the lowest in India.
|Days In Hospital||Cost of Stay In Hotel (USD)||Cost of Service Apartments (USD)||Total duration of stay|
|3 days||40 - 50 per day||35 per day||20 days|
How Does it Work?
The treatment plan for breast cancer usually involves surgery, followed by radiation therapy and then hormonal therapy followed by chemotherapy. Depending upon your diagnosis, one or two phases in this treatment may be eliminated altogether.
Types of Breast Cancer Surgery
The type of breast cancer surgery you need to undergo depends upon the stage of breast cancer you are in and the personality of your cancer. The decision will have to be made after comparing the options, weighing the benefits and risks and considering the quality of life you will have to lead after the breast cancer treatment. The options available are:
- Lumpectomy or breast-conserving surgery: This involves only the removal of the tumor along with a few surrounding tissues.
- Mastectomy: This involves the complete removal of your breast tissue. With time this procedure has become less intrusive and more refined. In most of the cases, the doctors do not remove the muscles under the breast.
- Lymph node removal/dissection: During a mastectomy or a lumpectomy in case the biopsy reveals that breast cancer has spread outside the milk duct, lymph node dissection may be advised.
Know More About Breast Cancer Treatment In India
Best Breast Cancer Hospital In India
What are the stages of Breast cancer?
Breast cancer can be divided into stages based on how large the tumor or tumors are and how much it has spread. Cancers that are large and/or have invaded nearby tissues or organs are at a higher stage than cancers that are small and/or still contained in the breast. In order to stage a breast cancer, doctors need to know:
- If the cancer is invasive or noninvasive
- how large the tumor is
- whether the lymph nodes are involved
- If the cancer has spread to nearby tissue or organs
Breast cancer has five main stages: stages 0 to 4.
Stage 0 breast cancer
Stage 0 is DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ). Cancer cells in DCIS remain confined to the ducts in the breast and have not spread into nearby tissue.
Stage 1 breast cancer
- Stage 1A: The primary tumor is 2 centimeters wide or less and the lymph nodes are not affected.
- Stage 1B: Cancer is found in nearby lymph nodes and there might not be a visible tumor in the breast, or the tumor could be smaller than 2 cm.
Stage 2 breast cancer
- Stage 2A: The tumor is smaller than 2 cm and has spread to 1–3 nearby lymph nodes, or the tumor is between 2 and 5 cm and has not spread to any lymph nodes.
- Stage 2B: The tumor is between 2 and 5 cm and has spread to 1–3 axillary (armpit) lymph nodes, or the tumor is larger than 5 cm and has not spread to any lymph nodes.
Stage 3 breast cancer
- Stage 3A:
- The cancer has spread to 4–9 axillary lymph nodes or has enlarged the internal mammary lymph nodes, and the primary tumor can be any size.
- Tumors are greater than 5 cm and the cancer has spread to 1–3 axillary lymph nodes or any breastbone nodes.
- Stage 3B: A tumor has invaded the chest wall or skin and may or may not have invaded up to 9 lymph nodes.
- Stage 3C: Cancer is found in 10 or more axillary lymph nodes, lymph nodes near the collarbone, or internal mammary nodes.
Stage 4 breast cancer
Stage 4 breast cancer can have a tumor of any size, and its cancer cells have spread to nearby and distant lymph nodes as well as distant organs.
The testing your doctor does will determine the stage of your breast cancer, which will affect your treatment.
Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer Treatment
Post breast cancer surgery if there are any cancerous cells remaining in the breast, radiation therapy will effectively destroy them. The radiation may be delivered by a machine outside the body (external-beam radiation therapy), or it may come from radioactive material judiciously placed in the organ next to the cancer cells (internal radiation therapy, also called brachytherapy).
These radiations destroy the cancer cells by damaging their DNA (the molecules that carry genetic information and pass it from one generation to the next). Alternatively, they also create charged particles (free radicals) within the cells that in turn damage the DNA.
Once the DNA is damaged beyond repair, the Cancer cells stop dividing and die. The dead cancer cells get broken down and are eliminated by the body through the alimentary canal.
With time radiation starts damaging cells that are in the path of its beam. Advanced technology technique ensure the precise delivery of such beams to make sure minimal damage is caused to the normal cells surrounding the cancerous cells.
The approximate cost of radiation therapy for breast cancer in India is USD 2500 - 5000.
In the case of hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers, hormonal therapy is given to reduce the chances of recurrence after the surgery and radiation. It is used in stage 1 breast cancer treatment and stage 2 breast cancer treatment. This therapy reduces the production of estrogen or successfully blocks its action.
Hormonal therapy medicines such as aromatase inhibitors, estrogen receptor down-regulators, and selective estrogen receptor modulators may be given in order to reduce estrogen or block its action.
In certain cases, the fallopian tubes and ovaries will have to be surgically removed as a preventive measure. Alternatively, ovaries may be shut down by the use of proper medication. Note that women diagnosed with breast cancer are also at risk of ovarian cancer, and you might require ovarian cancer treatment as well.
Hormonal therapy medicines may be given even in advanced-stage or metastatic hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers. They either shrink or slow down the growth of such cancerous cells.
Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Treatment
Chemotherapy refers to the use of medications to shrink or destroy the cancerous cells. This therapy is generally used in:
- Early-stage invasive breast cancer (up to breast cancer 2nd stage) in order to destroy any cancerous cells that may have remained in the breast after the surgery and to minimize the risk of recurrence of such cancer.
- Advanced-stage breast cancer (breast cancer 3rd stage and more) to try and damage as many cancer cells as possible
In certain cases, chemotherapy may be advised prior to the surgery in order to shrink cancer. This type of chemotherapy is referred to as "neoadjuvant" chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy medicines are usually given in combinations called chemotherapy regimens. In early-stage breast cancer cases, these regimens minimize the chances of cancer recurring. In advanced stage breast cancers, they shrink cancer. Results of chemotherapy usually vary from case to case.
Chemotherapy success rate in Breast Cancer:
Most people with stage 1, 2, or 3 breast cancer undergo surgery as part of their treatment.
The table below shows the percentages of females with breast cancer who undergo treatment involving chemotherapy:
The approximate cost of chemotherapy for breast cancer treatment in India is USD 450.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
The symptoms of breast cancer are:
- Discharge from nipples
- Lump that feels different from the rest of the breast
- Changes in how the nipple looks
- Skin Dimpling
- Change in skin color or texture
Side Effects Of Breast Cancer Treatment:
Breast cancer treatment is generally associated with side effects that may develop either because of the treatment or the disease itself. They may be long-term in nature and may continue even after the treatment is over. Some such side effects post treatment/surgery include:
- Blood clots
- Menopausal symptoms
- Absence of menstrual periods
- Sexual difficulties
- Memory loss
- Loss of cognitive functions
Some of these could be late side effects and may start appearing weeks, months or even years after completing the breast cancer treatment. They can be however addressed by maintaining a healthy lifestyle after the treatment.
Preparing for Breast Cancer Treatment
You will have to explain your entire medical history to your doctor before starting the breast cancer treatment in India. This includes any illnesses you may have, any allergies to medications, any medications that you may be taking currently and any other herbs or vitamins you may be taking. In case you are on aspirin or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, you may be asked to stop taking them a week before your treatment begins.
To make sure there will be no complications either during or after the surgery, you may be asked to undergo a few tests such as chest x-ray, electrocardiogram, blood tests, urine test and maybe a CAT scan.
It must be noted that the stage 3 cancer survival rate and stage 4 breast cancer survival rate are lower than those of the beginning stages, so don’t hesitate, get treatment as early as possible.
What to expect after Breast Cancer Treatment?
Once you are through with your Breast Cancer Treatment, the next thing you need to focus on is to monitor your condition so as to prevent the recurrence of cancer. You may have to attend follow-up sessions regularly to make sure things are going as per expectations. During these sessions, your symptoms of breast cancer will be reviewed and a physical examination would be conducted for any early detection of a recurrence or any new type of cancer.
In case you are emotionally disturbed, you may be asked to see a psychiatrist or attend a support group that might help you heal quickly.
Results of Breast Cancer Treatment
Results of Breast Cancer Treatment depends on how well your body responds to the treatment and in what way you manage your lifestyle. Cancer rehabilitation helps about 60 to 95% of women who survive breast cancer. This includes physical therapy, counseling and more to make sure you recover as soon as possible and get back to the life that you used to live before being diagnosed with breast cancer. However, you need to give yourself a lot of time to adapt to the changes that life brings to you after breast cancer.
Treatment Possible Care
At Treatment Possible, our main objective is to provide the best options for Breast cancer treatment in India at the lowest cost. Thus, we recognize the significance of excellent health and well being of our guests by preferring association with the top breast cancer surgeons and the best hospital for breast cancer treatment in India. We encourage you to educate yourself about Breast cancer treatment, procedure, cost of breast cancer treatment in India and then make an informed decision. Treatment Possible provides breast cancer treatment in India at an affordable cost.
An individually allocated case manager takes personalized interest to design a tailor-made treatment plan for every guest and provide information about best cancer hospital in India, cost of the Breast cancer treatment in India within a specific time. We can get you in touch with top breast cancer specialist in India who have treated breast cancer successfully.
For an early response from a case manager, medical history and diagnostic reports can be sent to email@example.com. For nearly a decade, Treatment Possible has been involved in guiding patients for appropriate and so assures you with wonderful experience along with Expertise of Medical Tourism in India. Treatment Possible invites you for a Free Consultation with chosen Top Breast Cancer specialist in India with the assurance of hassle-free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay.
- Physical breast examination
- Breast ultrasound
- Biopsy of the breast
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the breast