What is Deep brain stimulation?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery is done to relieve neurological conditions such as movement disorders, muscle stiffness, essential tremor, etc. Before understanding the goal of deep brain stimulation, you will need to know how a brain functions. The brain functions like an electrical circuit board controlling different activities and functions, such as emotions, thoughts, sensations, and muscle movement. All activities and functions result from electrical signals, but malfunction of these electrical signals can cause your muscles to lose control. The deep brain stimulation will stop faulty electrical signals from passing through neurons. DBS is also proven to reduce the amount of medication some patients require for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. Deep brain stimulation is a viable option for some people who have depression.
Deep brain stimulation is the surgical placement of three devices into your body. The devices include:
- Lead (electrode), an electrode that is placed in the specific area of your brain that sends faulty signals to your muscles.
- The extension is placed under the skin that connects the electrode to the neurostimulator.
- Neurostimulator (internal pulse generator, or IPG) is a device designed to send electrical impulses to your electrode. The amount of stimulation is controlled by a pacemaker placed under the skin in your upper chest.
When is deep brain stimulation therapy recommended?
Your doctor will recommend Deep Brain Stimulation for the following conditions:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Essential tremor
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Multiple sclerosis
- Chronic pain
- Traumatic brain injury
- Stroke recovery
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Anorexia nervosa
- Muscular dystrophy
- Muscular atrophy
How much does deep brain stimulation cost in India?
The cost of deep brain stimulation in India is affordable and cheap because of the low-cost infrastructure and medical equipment while still providing quality treatment. The deep brain stimulation cost ranges from $14000 – $29000. Treatment in India is 60% – 90% cheaper compared to western countries like the USA & UK. The table below shows the cost of deep brain stimulation in India compared to other countries:
$14000 - $29000
$60000 - $75000
$50000 - $65000
Book a free online consultation with an experienced doctor.
How is Deep Brain Stimulation performed?
Your medical team will take brain-imaging scans (pictures) to locate the area of your brain where your surgeon wants to place the lead. The scan can be an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or a CT (computed tomography). Your surgeon implants the electrode (lead) and the neurostimulator as follows:
- Step 1– Your surgeon will inject additional anesthetic medication into your scalp, make a small hole in your skull, and insert the electrode (lead).
- Step 2– Your surgeon will verify the accurate placement of the lead by attaching it to a temporary, external neurostimulator. The neurostimulator sends electrical stimulation to your electrode (lead) to test its placement.
- Step 3– Your surgeon will attach the electrode (lead) to an extension wire that connects it to your permanent, internal neurostimulator. The extension wire runs under the skin of the head, neck, and shoulder to the chest or belly. Then your surgeon will close the hole in your scalp.
- Step 4– Your surgeon will give you general anesthesia and will implant your neurostimulator in your chest or belly. Your neurosurgeon will join the neurostimulator to the lead wire and close the incision. This step can be done immediately after placing the lead in the brain or it can be done after a week in another surgery.
Your neurologist will turn on and adjust your stimulation settings and medications progressively over several months. It could take several adjustments before your neurostimulator is adjusted precisely to relieve your symptoms.
What Happens after Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery?
A few weeks after the surgery, your doctor activates your device (neurostimulator) and the process of finding the best settings for you begins. Some settings may cause side effects, but these often improve with further adjustments of your device. Your surgeon may do this before you leave the hospital or a few weeks after the implantation. You may feel tired and irritated around the stitched areas. You should avoid heavy activities for four to six weeks after surgery including jogging, swimming etc. Your surgeon will need to see you for several appointments over the following weeks and months. Your surgeon will make adjustments to ensure that your neurostimulator is treating your muscle movement problems effectively.
What are the complications of deep brain stimulation?
The complications may include:
- Misplacement of lead
- Bleeding in the brain
- brain haemorrhage
- Breathing problems
- Heart problems
- Worsening mental or emotional status
- Difficulty concentrating
- Hardware complications, such as an eroded lead wire
- pain and swelling at the implantation site
- Neurological side effects, including dizziness, minor paralysis, tingling, a shocking sensation, and problems with speech, vision, coordination and balance. These are generally temporary or mild.
The chest-implanted monitoring device can break due to trauma or wear and tear, and its batteries last between 6 to 18 months. The implanted electrodes may also need to be adjusted if the treatment is not working.
Life after Deep brain stimulation:
Deep brain stimulation will not cure your disease completely but will improve the quality of your life and it can help to reduce symptoms. If deep brain stimulation works, then your symptoms will improve significantly. You could have pain, swelling and tenderness at the device placement sites for several days after the surgery. Recovery after surgery is a gradual process and recovery time varies depending on the procedure, your general health, your age, and other factors. Your doctor will advise you to avoid strenuous activities or heavy lifting for about a month after surgery.
How do we help you with your treatment in India?
Treatment Possible is associated with Top Neuro Surgeons in India who specialize in affordable Deep brain stimulation Surgery. We are associated with the best hospitals in India which can provide you quality healthcare at an affordable cost.
We shall ensure that you are provided with the necessary care and proper medical services for your deep brain stimulation in India. Our understanding of the Indian Medical Services and Healthcare market and our valued relations with Neurosurgeons enable us to provide the treatment at a price that is reasonable, affordable and transparent. It is very important to undergo all the prescribed tests based on medical history so that the doctors can determine the perfect medical solution yet manage to keep surgery cost low.
You can send your medical reports for Deep brain stimulation Surgery at [email protected] and get a free Consultation with chosen Top Neuro Surgeons Deep brain stimulation in India with the hassle-free setup of post-operative recovery care, medical travel & stay during the Medical treatment. No matter what the health condition, you always get good healthcare options and cost advantage from Treatment Possible. Check out more valuable information about BrainTumor Surgery in India by calling and talking to us.
Frequently asked questions:
What are the side effects of deep brain stimulation?
- Temporary tingling sensations
- Muscle tightness of the face or arm
- Speech problems
- Loss of balance
- Vision problems, such as double vision
- Unwanted mood changes, such as anger and depression
What are the advantages of deep brain stimulation?
The advantages of deep brain stimulation are:
- It won’t destroy brain tissue
- The device is removable and adjustable.
- Stimulation settings could be modified to diminish the side effects and improve effectiveness.
What are the disadvantages of deep brain stimulation?
The disadvantages of deep brain stimulation are:
- An increased risk of infection due to the presence of a foreign object in the body
- The surgery will need to be repeated every three to five years to replace the battery in the device
- Uncomfortable sensations that may occur during stimulation
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help in the treatment of a patient who is suffering from Parkinson’s disease?
Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) helps in stabilizing the fluctuations in medication, reduces or halts involuntary movements, reduces tremor, reduces stiffness, and improves slowing of movement caused due to Parkinson’s disease.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Dystonia?
Deep brain stimulation interrupts abnormal brain activity which weakens the excessive signals and reduces dystonia symptoms.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help a patient who is suffering from Epilepsy?
Deep brain stimulation controls excessive electrical activity in the brain which reduces the frequency and severity of seizures. The stimulation can take up to two years to be fully effective while in a small number of people it may not affect.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patients who are suffering from Multiple sclerosis?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is one way to “turn off” parts of your brain without destroying them. It can also be used to control tremors in multiple sclerosis (MS). It does not cure or prevent MS or it does not cure vision loss.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help stroke patients?
DBS is a procedure where electrodes are implanted in the brain to provide small electric pulses that helped people who were disabled by a stroke to regain control of their movements. The electrodes target the damaged areas in the brain and help the patient to recover movement.