Table Of Contents
- 1 What is Deep brain stimulation?
- 2 How does Deep Brain Stimulation help in the treatment of different neurological conditions?
- 2.1 Parkinson’s disease:
- 2.2 Essential tremor፡
- 2.3 Dystonia:
- 2.4 Epilepsy:
- 2.5 Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD):
- 2.6 Multiple sclerosis:
- 2.7 Depression:
- 2.8 Chronic Pain Syndrome:
- 2.9 Traumatic Brain Injury:
- 2.10 Stroke:
- 2.11 Alzheimer’s disease:
- 2.12 Addiction:
- 2.13 Anorexia nervosa:
- 3 What are the advantages of deep brain stimulation therapy?
- 4 What are the disadvantages of deep brain stimulation therapy?
- 5 What is the cost of deep brain stimulation?
- 6 How can I avail the services of Treatment Possible for Deep brain stimulation surgery in India?
What is Deep brain stimulation?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery is done when a patient needs relief from neurological conditions such as movement disorders, including Essential Tremor. Deep brain stimulation surgery stimulates the thalamus, a structure deep in the human brain that coordinates and controls muscle activity. In a Deep Brain Stimulation surgery, electrode implants are placed within certain areas of your brain. These electrodes can be used to give controlled stimulation to the concerned areas of the brain. The amount of stimulation in deep brain stimulation is controlled by a pacemaker placed under the skin in your upper chest. Neurosurgeon needs to identify areas of the brain that will benefit from or respond to stimulation. This can be done using CT or MRI scans. The surgeon will target a precise location for electrode placement. The surgeon may also use an electrode-recording technique which will map and target the specific areas in the brain that needs to be reached. Once the correct location is identified and navigation is planned, the permanent electrodes are implanted in the brain.
Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery is used for the treatment of:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Essential tremor
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Multiple sclerosis
- Chronic pain
- Traumatic brain injury
- Stroke recovery
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Anorexia nervosa
What Happens During Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery?
The surgeon makes a small sized hole in your skull to search for just the right spot to place the lead. The wire that connects the lead to the battery pack runs under the skin of your scalp. The hole made in the skull will be closed using a plastic cap and stitches. The patient will be given small amounts of local anaesthesia but he will remain awake during the deep brain stimulation surgery. During and immediately after placement of surgery, the patient is required to respond to commands of the surgeon. This helps them to neuro-monitor the patient. They interact with the patient and test the stimulations. After the surgery:
- You may feel tired and irritation around the stitched areas
- The patient is required to stay in the hospital for 3 days after the Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery in India
- Your stitches will be removed seven to 10 days after surgery
- Then the pulse generator would be placed in the chest a few weeks later.
- A magnet device will be provided to control the stimulus to the brain for which you will be trained to use the device.
- You should not engage in heavy activities for four to six weeks after surgery including jogging, swimming etc.
- You will need around six sessions over 6 months to find the settings that work best for you. But once you do, your symptoms could get better.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help in the treatment of different neurological conditions?
Parkinson’s disease is a neurological disorder which affects movement. It starts with the brain cells, called neurons, which control movement. Neurons produce a substance called dopamine. When dopamine levels decrease in your brain, it can cause abnormal brain activity which leads to symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
What are the symptoms of Parkinson disease?
- Tremor (shaking that occurs at rest)
- Slow movements
- Stiffness of arms and legs
- Problems with balance and tendency to fall
- A tendency to get stuck when walking
- A tendency to fall backwards
- Reduced arm swinging when walking
- Problems with attention and memory
- Speech changes
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help in the treatment of a patient who is suffering from Parkinson’s Disease?
Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) helps in stabilizing the medication fluctuations, reduces or halts involuntary movements (dyskinesia), reduces tremor, reduces rigidity, and improves slowing of movement caused due to Parkinson’s disease.
Essential tremor is a nervous system (neurological) disorder that causes involuntary and rhythmic shaking. The trembling usually occurs in your hands. Essential tremor can occur at any age but is most common in people who are old (above 50 years).
What are the symptoms of Essential tremor?
- Hand tremor
- Tremoring worsens with movement
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help a patient who is suffering from Essential tremor?
Deep brain stimulation does not cure or stop essential tremor but can reduce symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Dystonia is a neurological movement disorder caused due to too much signalling of the brain causing your muscle to tighten, repetitive or twisting movements. Dystonia can affect the eyelids, face, jaw, neck, vocal cords, torso, limbs, hands, and feet. Dystonia may look different from person to person, depending on the affected part of the body.
What are the symptoms of Dystonia?
- Cramping of the foot.
- Involuntary pulling of the neck.
- Uncontrollable blinking.
- Speech difficulties.
- Worsen with stress, fatigue or anxiety.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Dystonia?
The stimulations caused by the DBS device interrupts the abnormal brain activity which weakens the excessive signals and reduces dystonia symptoms. This option is only used in severe cases of generalized dystonia.
Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures (unpredictable). It is caused by abnormal activity in the brain; seizures is a sudden rush of electrical activity in the brain.
What are the symptoms of epilepsy?
- Jerking movements of the arms and legs
- Loss of consciousness or awareness
- Temporary confusion
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help a patient who is suffering from Epilepsy?
Deep brain stimulation controls excess electrical activity in the brain which reduces the frequency and severity of seizures. The stimulation may take up to two years to show full effect while in a small number of people it may have no effect.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD):
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) patients suffer from unwanted thoughts and fears (obsessions). These interfere with daily activities and cause significant distress.
What are the symptoms of Obsessive-compulsive disorder?
- Doubting and having difficulty tolerating uncertainty
- horrific thoughts about losing control and harming yourself or others
- Thoughts of aggression, or sexual or religious subjects
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Obsessive-compulsive disorder?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is one of the options for the treatment of severe OCD when all other treatments fail. Once implanted, the parameters of the electrodes in a DBS device can be adjusted according to a patient’s response to treatment. The customizability of the stimulation helps in being effective in individual patient’s. By activating or deactivating of the electrical nodes at a given location creates stimulation depending on the condition.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) usually affects the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system). In MS, the immune system attacks the protective sheath (myelin) causing communication problems between your brain and the rest of your body. This disease can even cause permanent damage to the nerves resulting in loss of vision, sensation, weakness, Tremors, etc.
What are the symptoms of Multiple sclerosis?
- Loss of ability to walk independently.
- Tremor, lack of coordination in body movements.
- Partial or complete loss of vision
- Tingling sensation in parts of your body
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patients who are suffering from Multiple sclerosis?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is a way to “turn off” parts of your brain without destroying them. It may also be used to control tremors in multiple sclerosis (MS). It is necessary to note that it doesn’t cure or prevents MS and also doesn’t cure vision loss, sensation or, weakness.
Depression is a mood disorder that can cause a continuous feeling of sadness. It is also called major depressive disorder or clinical depression and it affects how you feel, think and behave.
What are the symptoms of Depression?
- Feelings of sadness, tearfulness, emptiness or hopelessness
- Angry outbursts, irritation over small matters
- Sleep disturbances or sleeping too much
- Tiredness and lack of energy
- Concentrating issues
- Frequent thoughts of death or suicidal thoughts
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Depression?
In DBS, a doctor implants tiny electrodes in the part of the brain that controls the mood. The tiny electrodes are implanted in the region of the brain which is responsible for dopamine and serotonin release.
Chronic Pain Syndrome:
Chronic pain syndrome makes it difficult to do normal activities at home and work because, for many people, the pain continues long after its causes are gone. The pain lasts for 3 to 6 months or more. This chronic pain can affect your emotional and physical health.
What are the symptoms of Chronic Pain Syndrome?
- joint pain.
- muscle aches.
- burning pain.
- sleep problems.
- loss of stamina and flexibility
- mood problems, including depression, anxiety, and irritability.
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from chronic pain syndrome?
Deep brain stimulation helps to reduce the pain which normally does not respond to any other conservative treatment options.
Traumatic Brain Injury:
Traumatic brain injury usually results from an injury to the head. Severe brain injury can result in bruising, torn tissues, bleeding and other physical damage to the brain. These injuries can result in long term complications, which may eventually lead to death.
What are the symptoms of Traumatic brain injury?
- Sudden Blackout for a few seconds or a few minutes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Problems with speech
- Difficulty sleeping
- Dizziness or loss of balance
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Traumatic brain injury?
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is implanted to stimulate the damaged areas of the brain with electrical impulses. DBS can help patients with traumatic brain injury reduce the symptoms.
A stroke occurs when a blood vessel carries oxygen and nutrients to the brain and is either blocked by a clot or ruptures. Causes of strokes include ischemia (loss of blood supply) or haemorrhage (bleeding) in the brain. People who generally are at risk for stroke include people who have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and those who smoke.
What are the symptoms of a Stroke?
- Numbness on one side of the body including face, arm, and leg.
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking, or difficulty understanding speech.
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
- Dizziness, loss of balance, or lack of coordination.
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Stroke?
DBS is a procedure in which electrodes are implanted in the brain to provide small electric pulses which helped people who were disabled by a stroke to regain control of their movements. The electrodes target the damaged areas in the brain to help the patient recover movement.
Alzheimer’s disease is a neurological disorder that causes brain cells to degenerate and die. Alzheimer’s disease disrupts a person’s ability to function independently. The initial sign of the disease may be forgetting recent events.
What are the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease?
- Memory loss
- Repeat statements and questions over and over
- They lose their memory even in familiar places
- Eventually, forget the names of family members
- Irritability and aggressiveness
Can Deep Brain Stimulation help a patient who is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease?
DBS is an established therapy for several neurological and psychiatric indications such as Alzheimer’s disease. However, there is no proven theory explaining the effects of DBS on the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
Substances such as alcohol, marijuana and nicotine are addictive. Drug addiction affects a person’s brain and behaviour. An addicted person may continue using the drug despite the harm it causes.
What are the symptoms of Addiction?
- Having intense urges for the drug perhaps daily or even several times a day
- Getting involved in risky activities when you’re under the influence
- May even experience withdrawal symptoms when you attempt to stop taking the drug
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Addiction?
A surgeon implants electrodes in the brain of a patient suffering from addiction. The device, known as a deep brain stimulator, is designed to alter the function of circuits in the brain. This may prevent the patient’s condition from worsening.
Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by abnormally low body weight, an intense fear of gaining weight
What are the symptoms of Anorexia nervosa?
- Thin appearance
- Abnormal blood counts
- Absence of menstruation
- Intolerance of cold
- Low blood pressure
How does Deep Brain Stimulation help patient who are suffering from Anorexia nervosa?
Deep brain stimulation might help the symptoms of anorexia nervosa and improve patients’ mental and physical health.
What are the advantages of deep brain stimulation therapy?
The advantages of deep brain stimulation are:
- It won’t destroy brain tissue
- The device can be removed at any time.
- It is adjustable.
- It is more effective in controlling tremors than thalamotomy, or destruction of the thalamus.
What are the disadvantages of deep brain stimulation therapy?
The disadvantages of deep brain stimulation are:
- Increased risk of infection from the presence of a foreign object in the body
- The surgery will need to be repeated every three to five years to replace the battery in the device
- Uncomfortable sensations that may occur during stimulation
Results of Deep brain stimulation:
The deep brain stimulation will not cure your disease completely, but it may help lessen your symptoms. In case deep brain stimulation works, your symptoms will improve significantly.
What is the cost of deep brain stimulation?
The cost of deep brain stimulation in India is affordable and cheap due to the low-cost infrastructure and medical equipment while still providing quality treatment. The therapy cost ranges from $14000 – $29000. Treatment in India is 60% – 90% cheaper compared to western countries like USA & UK. The table below shows the cost of deep brain stimulation in India compared to other countries:
$14000 - $29000
$60000 - $75000
$50000 - $65000
How can I avail the services of Treatment Possible for Deep brain stimulation surgery in India?
Treatment Possible is associated with Top Neuro Surgeons in India who specialize in affordable Deep brain stimulation Surgery. We only work with Hospitals that are equipped with OT that are compatible with complex Deep brain stimulation surgeries. Not all surgeons can perform advanced Deep brain stimulation surgery in India so Treatment Possible only associates with Neurosurgeons in India and Hospitals who are experienced in operating complex knee replacement cases and ensure a successful surgery.
Treatment Possible shall ensure high-quality Deep brain stimulation surgery in India while guaranteeing the lowest medical services and surgery cost. Our understanding of the Indian Medical Services and Healthcare market and our valued relations with Neurosurgeons enable us to provide the treatment at a price that is reasonable, affordable and transparent.
The results of the Deep Brain Stimulation in India arranged by us have been mostly positive. It is very important to undergo all the prescribed tests based on medical history so that the doctors can determine the perfect medical solution yet manage to keep surgery cost low.
You can send your medical reports for Deep brain stimulation Surgery at email@example.com and get a free Consultation with chosen Top Neuro Surgeons Deep brain stimulation in India with the hassle-free setup of post-operative recovery care, medical travel & stay during the Medical treatment. No matter what the health condition, you always get good healthcare options and cost advantage from Treatment Possible. Check out more valuable information about BrainTumor Surgery in India by calling and talking to us.