Table Of Contents
- 1 Liver Transplant in India
- 2 Cost Of Liver Transplant In India
- 3 What will be cost of stay in India during Liver Transplant?
- 4 Know More About Liver Transplant In This Video:
- 5 Causes Of Liver Damage:
- 6 How to determine if a Liver patient is fit candidate for Liver Transplant?
- 7 Who can donate liver for transplant in india ?
- 8 How to get cadaver or deceased liver donation in India?
- 9 Process Of Liver Transplant In India
- 10 Success rate of Liver Transplant in India
- 11 What are chances of rejection in Liver Transplant?
- 12 Can a person resume normal life after Liver Transplant?
- 13 Diet and nutrition advised after Liver Transplant:
- 14 What about Exercise after Liver Transplant ?
- 15 Best Liver Transplant Surgeons in India
- 16 Best Hospital In India For Liver Transplant:
- 17 Frequently Asked Question (FAQ’s)
- 17.1 Q1. What is the cost of Liver Transplant in India?
- 17.2 Q2. When do you need a Liver Transplant?
- 17.3 Q3. What are the criteria for liver transplant?
- 17.4 Q4. Is there an age limit for liver transplantation?
- 17.5 Q5. What is cadaver liver transplant?
- 17.6 Q6. How does the waiting list for liver transplant work?
- 17.7 Q7. How long do you need to wait for a liver donor ?
- 17.8 Q8. What will be the duration of stay for liver transplant in india?
- 17.9 Q9. What are the risks of being a live liver donor?
- 17.10 Q10. What does liver transplantation involve?
- 17.11 Q11. What foods should be avoided after liver transplant?
- 17.12 Q12. What is the success rate of Liver Transplant in India?
- 17.13 Q13. Can a person resume normal life after Liver Transplant?
Liver Transplant in India
Liver a one of the vital organs in our body which performs various important functions in our body like filter our blood from harmful toxins, it helps producing proteins necessary for blood clotting, it produces bile juice necessary for digestion,etc. Liver Transplantation is the surgical procedure to replace a damaged liver with a healthy liver from a donor. This is done when your liver is damaged beyond repair and when it ceases to function or malfunctions, then the patient has to look at Liver Transplant. India is one of the leading nations where you can undergo quality medical treatment at low cost. This article helps you in understanding the cost, preparation and procedures to be followed while undergoing liver transplant in india.
Cost Of Liver Transplant In India
|Liver Transplant Cost (USD)||Length of stay In India||Cost of stay in hotel outside hospital(USD)||Treatment Possible Apartment Cost||Source of Liver
|28500||2 Months||55 /day||Free||Living (Relative) or Deceased|
Compared to any other medical destination India offers lowest cost for liver transplant surgery. The cost of Liver Transplant in india is USD 32000-35000. But we offer special rates to our patients. Our patient only pays USD 28500 to hospital. We help you save more. Read details below. You will get entire package of pre-surgery investigation, surgery for patient, surgery for donor, hospital stay in private room and medicines. Please email us your query for detailed surgeon’s opinion and cost. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The graph below shows the cost (USD) comparison for liver transplant in various countries:
(Tap on the column to know the exact cost)
What will be cost of stay in India during Liver Transplant?
Days in hospital Cost of stay in hotel(USD) Cost of stay in service apartments(USD) Duration of stay after Transplant Total duration of stay in india
15 days 40 – 50 Free 45 days 2 Months
You need to be aware about length of stay and upkeep cost while in India. The hospital provides stay only after surgery. While your total stay in India will be for 2 months if your donor is available. But if you have to wait for a deceased person’s liver then your wait can be anywhere from 1 month to 6 months. There will be 3 person in total traveling considering a care taker. If you stay in hotel then it will cost you minimum USD 55 a day. Which means USD 1650 a month. Additional to daily food which will be USD 15 per day minimum.
That’s is why Treatment Possible provide free accommodation in our service apartments for. You can cook your own food to your taste which is also healthy. We help your save USD 35 each day. Which means you save more than USD 1000 every month. Your total cost of treatment will further reduce by USD 3000 to 4000 by saving on stay and food.
Know More About Liver Transplant In This Video:
Causes Of Liver Damage:
Causes of Liver damage in Adults
- In Adults cirrhosis is most common condition causing irreparable damage to Liver. Cirrhosis causes deterioration of liver. It blocks flood flow through the liver and causes malfunctioning of Liver. Cirrhosis can be caused by viral infection such as Hepatitis B & C, excess alcohol abuse, fatty liver or autoimmune disease of liver.
- Liver cancer or other cancer leading to metastasis in liver
- Primary bilary sclerosis
- Genetic Liver disease
Causes of Liver Damage in Children
- In children, most common cause of irreparable liver disease is biliary atresia. In biliary atresia, kids are born without bile duct or a blocked bile duct. This causes cirrhosis of liver in babies, which means that their liver reaches complete failure stage. Thereafter Liver transplant is the only option to restore required liver functions.
How to determine if a Liver patient is fit candidate for Liver Transplant?
A battery of investigation needs to be carried out to determine if a patient can be a candidate for Liver Transplant. Firstly surgeons need to rule out any probable cause of future liver damage. After that they will ask for:
- X-ray and computed tomography.
- Doppler ultrasound to study blood flow to and from your liver.
- ECG, stress test and other cardiac evaluation to check cardiac fitness.
- Pulmonary Function test.
- And complete haematology (blood) study.
Once it is determined that a patient is fit to undergo Liver, a fit and matching donor needs to be found.
Who can donate liver for transplant in india ?
A patient can receive liver from a live donor or a deceased donor. Let’s understand both the donor option:
- Living Liver donor:A living donor can be family member or close friend who can be a matching donor. The willing donor needs to approximately match liver size and should be of compatible blood type. Fortunately no complex match like tissue or cell needs to be done. The donor is not at a permanent loss. Liver grows back to its size within 6-8 weeks. Which means the donor’s quality of life is not compromised. Donor saves a life and lives.
- Cadaver or deceased donor: A deceased person’s liver can be transplanted to adult patient. In cases of acute liver disease, the patient will need a complete liver which can only be sourced from a deceased person. Treatment Possible works with hospital across multiple states in India. We can find out currently which state in India has lowest waiting list of liver patients. Accordingly we can advise on choosing a state and hospital in that state which has lowest waiting time.
How to get cadaver or deceased liver donation in India?
After your complete medical evaluation, if you are fit candidate for liver transplant then you can become an active liver candidate. Your name will be placed on waiting list according to your blood group, body size and medical condition. Each waiting list candidate is given a score based on their blood tests. The score is known as the MELD (model of end stage liver disease) score in adults and PELD (pediatric end stage liver disease) in children. Depending on your score, you will be prioritised. This score is revised regularly. In case your blood test reveals that your liver has further deteriorated then your score will go high. Accordingly candidate goes up in the list and has better chance of be chosen as recipient.
While you wait for your turn to receive liver, we make sure that you are regularly examined by surgeons so that your health can be maintained. We make sure that you are not charged extra during your waiting time.
Process Of Liver Transplant In India
The Procedure For Liver Transplant Surgery Is as follows:
- The liver transplant procedure or operation can last between 6 hours and 12 hours and is done under general anesthesia.
- Your surgeon will make a long incision across your abdomen. He will disconnect the blood supply to and from the liver and bile ducts and then remove the liver.
- The liver transplant surgeon will replace it with the donor’s liver and reattach the bile ducts and blood vessels to the new liver.
- He will then place staples and stitches to close the incision.
- If your liver is from a living donor, the liver transplant surgeon will remove a portion of the donor’s liver.
- He will then remove your diseased liver and place the donor’s liver in your body, and connect the bile ducts and blood vessels.
That is how the liver transplant procedure works. The liver in your body and that in the liver transplant donor’s body will quickly regenerate within a few months to its full volume.
Success rate of Liver Transplant in India
In India, the success rate of Liver transplant has been 90%. But like any other transplant, liver transplant has its very own risks and complication.
What are chances of rejection in Liver Transplant?
Like any other organ transplant, Liver transplant also carries risk of rejection. Our body will see the new liver as a foreign object. Therefore our immune system works against the new liver. It can occur rapidly or gradually over a period of time. Therefore anti-rejection medicine is given before and after the surgery to suppress immune system from attacking the liver. The anti-rejection drug continues for life in most of the cases but it is low dosage. You should always be alert to symptoms of rejection like fever, fatigue, chills, nausea and jaundice. If detected early then it can be managed. This can happen even after years of transplant.
Can a person resume normal life after Liver Transplant?
In one word, Yes. With-in 3-4 month of your liver transplant surgery you can return to normal life. But you can’t take your health casually after any organ transplant. Your diet needs to be as per dietician’s advice. And you should minimise or abstain from alcohol. Your work, exercise and sex life will be normal as any other average person. You will surely benefit from the liver transplant surgery and regain your normal life.
Diet and nutrition advised after Liver Transplant:
Eating a well-balanced diet is especially important after liver transplant to help you recover and keep you healthy.
We will ensure that hospital dietician will provide you diet chart that Liver transplant patient should consume to ensure health of his/her liver.
In general, your diet after liver transplant should be low in salt, cholesterol, fat and sugar.
To prevent damaging your new liver, it’s important to avoid alcohol. Do not drink alcoholic beverages or use alcohol in cooking.
Best diet practise after transplant includes:
- Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day
- Avoid fruits like grapefruit and grapefruit juice, pomegranates, or Seville oranges due to their effect on a group of immunosuppression medications.
- Have enough fiber in your daily diet
- Avoid all kinds of processed food
- Maintain optimal calcium and phosphorus levels
- Eat lean meats, poultry and fish
- Follow food safety guidelines
- Stay hydrated by drinking adequate water and other fluids each day
What about Exercise after Liver Transplant ?
Purpose of transplant is to resume normal life. But exercise is required to achieve and maintain good life. Exercise and physical activity should be a regular part of your life after a liver transplant to continue improving your overall physical and mental health.
Our physical therapist can also talk with you about finding an appropriate exercise program to follow at home. Soon after your transplant, you should walk as much as you can. Then, depending on your progress, therapist shall add more exercise to suit your body. Swimming is advised as it is low impact exercise. But be sure to check in with your transplant team before starting or changing your post-transplant exercise routine.
Best Liver Transplant Surgeons in India
Dr. Rakesh Rai
Dr. Rakesh Rai is a Senior Consultant Surgeon who trained extensively in hepato-biliary-pancreatic surgery and solid organ transplantation (liver, kidney and pancreas).
Prof. Mohamed Rela
He started the “Institute of Liver disease and transplantation at Global Gleneagles health city in 2009. He has performed over 4000 liver transplant surgeries.
Best Hospital In India For Liver Transplant:
Fortis Hospital – Mulund, Mumbai
Fortis Hospital, Mulund is a 5 times JCI accredited, 315-bed multi-specialty tertiary care hospital providing a range of diagnostic and treatment services and is a leading integrated healthcare delivery service provider in India.
Artemis Hospitals – Gurgaon, Haryana
Artemis Hospitals is a leading medical speciality centre in Gurgaon. They have image-guided radiation therapy, digital x-rays, ultrasound systems, CT scanners, Video Bronchoscopy System, Cancer Screening Mobile Van, Laser Hair Reduction, and much more.
Medanta – The Medicity Hospital, Gurgaon
Medanta – The Medicity Hospital, Gurgaon is established in 2008 and it is a NABH and JCI accredited facility. Medanta Hospital was founded by a renowned Cardiovascular and Cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Naresh Trehan and is both NABH and NABL accredited.
Sahyadri Hospitals – Deccan Gymkhana, Pune
Sahyadri Hospitals is the largest chain of hospitals in Maharashtra and it is NABH Accredited. It 202 bedded with the right blend of experienced expertise, latest technology and professional management to provide high quality medical care. This is a unique Institute which is exclusively dedicated to Neurology & Neuro Surgery.
Gleneagles Global Health City – Chennai
Gleneagles Global Health City has a capacity of over 1000 beds and accreditations from leading agencies, the facility is Asia’s most trusted and leading Multi-Organ Transplant Centre. . This hospital is a Pioneer in Multi-Organ Transplants including kidneys, liver, heart and lung. Global Team of doctors performs 18,000 surgeries every year and Lung Transplant is considered to be the best among all the hospitals in India.
Fortis Memorial Research Institute (FMRI) – Gurgaon
Fortis was established in 1996 and now has over 55 facilities in line to offer health facilities within India and abroad. It is an NABH accredited multi-specialty tertiary care hospital. The Institute is known to be the ‘Mecca of Healthcare’ for Asia Pacific region
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ’s)
Q1. What is the cost of Liver Transplant in India?
Liver transplant cost in India is lesser than US, UK, Thailand, Singapore, Turkey. Usually the cost in India for a Liver Transplant surgery is USD 32000-35000. But we offer special rates to our patients 28500 USD. We help you save more and you will get an entire package of pre-surgery investigation, surgery for patient, surgery for donor, hospital stay in private room and medicines.
Q2. When do you need a Liver Transplant?
When your liver is damaged beyond repair and when it ceases to function or malfunctions, then the patient has to look at Liver Transplant.
Q3. What are the criteria for liver transplant?
Transplantation is usually done in patients based on the following criteria:
- Patients who have a single liver tumor which is <=5cm across
- Patients who have up to five tumors <= 3cm across
- Patients who have a single tumor of 5-7 cm but has not grown from last 6 months
Doctors will properly assess the patient before a liver transplant to increase the success rates.
Q4. Is there an age limit for liver transplantation?
The age limit is individualized as it varies with a patient’s overall health condition. However, it is rare to offer liver transplant to someone greater than 70 years old.
Q5. What is cadaver liver transplant?
A deceased person’s liver can be transplanted to an adult patient. In cases of acute liver disease, the patient will need a complete liver which can only be sourced from a deceased person.
Q6. How does the waiting list for liver transplant work?
After your complete medical evaluation, if you are a fit candidate for liver transplant then you can become an active liver candidate. Your name will be placed on the waiting list according to your blood group, body size and medical condition. Each waiting list candidate is given a score based on their blood tests.
Q7. How long do you need to wait for a liver donor ?
If you have to wait for a deceased person’s liver then your wait can be anywhere from 1 month to 6 months.
Q8. What will be the duration of stay for liver transplant in india?
Your total stay in India for liver transplant will be for 2 months if your donor is available.
Q9. What are the risks of being a live liver donor?
Even though live liver donation is considered a very safe operation, it involves major surgery and is associated with complications, which may include:
- Possible allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Pain and discomfort
- Wound infection
- Bleeding that may require transfusion
- Blood clots
- Bile leakage, bile duct problems
- Scar tissue formation
Q10. What does liver transplantation involve?
The transplant involves meticulous surgery and the patient’s health and fitness have to be assessed. If you are very seriously ill, you might not be able to survive the surgery that involves liver transplant. Also, finding a donor usually takes months. So, during the time other therapies like chemo and radiotherapy are tried.
Q11. What foods should be avoided after liver transplant?
- Water from lakes and rivers.
- Unpasteurized milk products.
- Raw or undercooked. eggs. meats, particularly pork and poultry. fish and other seafood.
Q12. What is the success rate of Liver Transplant in India?
The success rate of Liver transplant in india has been 90%. But like any other transplant, liver transplant has its very own risks and complication.
Q13. Can a person resume normal life after Liver Transplant?
Yes!. With-in 3-4 month of your liver transplant surgery you can return to normal life. But you can’t take your health casually after any organ transplant. Your diet needs to be as per dietician’s advice. And you should minimise or abstain from alcohol. Your work, exercise and sex life will be normal as any other average person. You will surely benefit from the liver transplant surgery and regain your normal life.