What is Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery?
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery is a type of spinal surgery that requires minimum invasion to treat the underlying spine problems and spine and neck conditions. Unlike the open spinal surgery, where a 4 to 6-inch area of skin is cut open by a spine surgeon and the muscles are moved in order for the surgeon to have a better look at the affected area, this minimally invasive surgery makes use of a tubular retractor that is inserted into the spine for the spine surgeon to operate.
This surgical procedure is performed as the last resort when all the procedures like physiotherapy and medicines fail to treat the underlying conditions. The main procedures that are involved in this treatment are the tubular method, endoscopic method, and mini-open method.
How Does Spine Surgery Work?
The basic technique behind the Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery procedure is that a device is used to create a small incision at the place that needs to be operated. A tubular retractor is fit into the incision. It separates the muscles and lets the surgeon have a proper look at the area he is operating. In some cases, more than one incision is required. Any bone or extra material is taken out through this tube and the equipment to be inserted is also sent through this retractor tube.
Fluoroscopy is a technique that lets the surgeon see the real-time image of the spine on the screen while operating on it. A microscope is also used to magnify the view as well.
After the medical procedure is done, the retractor is removed and the area is stitched back. The main aim of the surgery is to cause the least muscle damage while completely treating the condition.
The most common types of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery are:
- Lumbar Discectomy
- Lumbar Fusion
What are the reasons why Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery is done?
Spine Surgery is done to treat spinal diseases and medical conditions like:
- Herniated disc – Herniated slipped disc surgery
- Spinal stenosis – Spine decompression surgery
- Spinal fractures & spinal cord compression – Spinal cord Injury treatment
- Degenerative disc disease – Spinal decompression surgery
- Scoliosis – Spine curvature treatment
- Spinal Tumor – Laser Spine Surgery
- Spinal Arthritis – Cervical Spine Surgery
- Spinal nerve issues and permanent nerve damage also can be treated by Spine surgery
Are there any side effects of spine surgery?
There are a few side effects and complications that can arise after spine surgery.
- Bleeding – Some patients experience minor bleeding in the operated area. However, this is not significant.
- Infections– There is a risk of infections after every surgery, so antibiotics are given to reduce the risk. Sometimes, infections do occur and should be treated as soon as possible.
- Nerve damage – Sometimes during the operations, a blood vessel or nerve gets damaged. However, this is a very rare phenomenon.
- Pseudarthrosis – Pseudarthrosis is a condition in which there is an abnormal formation of the bones. This usually happens to the chain-smokers. A second surgery has to be done to cure this defect and ensure bone healing.
- Blood Clots – This is another risk that happens because of damaged blood vessels and nerves. A blood clot might get formed in the legs. If not treated on time, these clots can break and travel up to the lungs.
- Pre-surgery conditions – In some patients, the symptoms that they experienced before the operation do not completely go, and keep recurring from time to time.
What is the Preparation Required for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery?
A medical evaluation is required before surgical treatment. The patient is asked to get tests like MRI, X-Ray, and CT Scans. These medical reports help the doctors to determine the area where the surgery has to be done and also takes care of the general examination before surgery.
Apart from these tests, a few discussions and online sessions that help to determine the actual plan of operation is held with the patient by the specialized surgeons.
The hospital patients are given general anesthesia before the operation to lessen the pain.
What to expect after spine surgery?
After the spinal surgery, the patients are usually kept in the hospital for about a couple of days. However, if there is proper care available at home, the patients can be sent back the next day of the operation. The patients are not allowed to start work or do any strenuous activities for about a week or two.
The patient usually does not feel a lot of postoperative pain. However, some mild pain medications are prescribed in most cases for back pain or unexpected spinal problems. The time required to completely heal depends on the type of procedure performed. The total recovery can take up to several months.
The patients also have to go for regular physiotherapy sessions for rapid recovery. These sessions usually start a month after the completion of the surgery.
What is the cost of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery in India?
Treatment Possible is a health consultant company in Mumbai, India that connects international patients requiring affordable low-cost health treatment and surgery in India with the best surgeons and hospitals in India.
The Treatment Possible team will ensure you receive quality treatment from the best spine surgery hospitals in India at the lowest price. This is possible because of our goodwill and long-standing association with India’s best medical institutions.
The spine surgery cost through Treatment Possible can be 10-20% lower than similar companies in India and 50-60% cheaper than in other countries. We are associated with Spine Surgeons in India who specialize in minimal access spinal surgery. Indian Hospitals with advanced medical facilities are also equipped with OT that are compatible with instrumental surgery. The spine surgery cost in India is in the range of USD 2000-2500 excluding the cost of implant used as a replacement.
The results of the Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery are mostly positive. In comparison to the open spinal surgery, the recovery is very fast and the results also show in a few months. The patients can perform their daily activities easily without any pain or pressure on their spine.
Treatment Possible ensures that spinal surgery procedure is completed and the treatment cost is guaranteed to be among the lowest in India. Our deep understanding of the Indian Healthcare market and our valued relations with surgeons of the best spinal surgery hospitals in India enables us to ensure that your spine surgery procedure cost is affordable and transparent.
You get a free consultation with top spine surgeons in India with the hassle-free setup for the test, procedures, recovery, travel, and stay. Send your reports to email@example.com for free opinions and suggestions from the best spine surgery specialists in India.