Prostate Cancer Treatment in India
When compared to the other types of cancers, Prostate cancer has fewer chances of spreading to the other organs of the body. This makes it easier to treat prostate cancer and increase the lifespan of men who suffer from this problem.
There are various treatment options to treat prostate cancer. The decision regarding the right treatment option to opt for would be made only after considering various things such as:
- The stage of the prostate cancer
- Age of the patient and life expectancy
- The general health of the patient
- The urgency of the need for treatment
- The likelihood of the treatment option curing the cancer
- Side effects involved in the treatment options
It is important to do your homework and get to know the various treatment options before making your decision on the right treatment to choose for curing your prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer Treatment Cost in India
Due to our long-standing association, we are able to ensure the best hospital for cancer treatment in India at the lowest cost for our patients for cancer diagnosis. We ensure treatment through most advanced LINAC i.e. TrueBeam. At the same time, our rates are lowest for treatment of cancer in India.
Treatment Procedure & Methods
The treatment plan for prostate cancer is prepared based on the stage of cancer. There are basically four such stages which include:
Stage 1: At this stage, the cancerous cells are not visible on image tests. They appear very much like normal cells and the growth will be very slow. There are high chances of cancer getting completely cured if treated at this stage. The treatment plan here would include options such as:
- Active Surveillance
Stage 2: In stage 2, cancer will be localized and will not be spread to any of the lymph nodes or organs. The size of the tumor may be small or large. They may even be too small to be identified in the image tests. The treatment options here are similar to stage 1. However, follow-up care may be required to make sure there is no recurrence or presence of secondary cancers.
Stage 3: Stage 3 of Prostate cancer would mean cancer has spread to the nearby lymph nodes and tissues. The treatment plan at this stage would include a combination of therapies such as:
- Hormone therapy
- Active surveillance
Stage 4: This is the stage where cancer would have spread to the other parts of the body such as lungs, liver, bladder, intestine, and bones. The treatment plan in this stage will not cure cancer, but helps in relieving the patient of the symptoms, while increasing his lifespan. It would generally be a combination of treatments such as
- Hormone therapy
Treatment options involved in Prostate Cancer
Chemotherapy: This treatment aims to destroy the cancer cells through drugs such as Docetaxel (Taxotere), Cabazitaxel (Jevtana), Mitoxantrone (Novantrone) or Estramustine (Emcyt) that are given intravenously. Chemo is generally given in cycles, where each cycle lasts for a couple of weeks. There is a rest period between two cycles.
Chemotherapy aims at reducing the symptoms and slowing down the growth of cancer. It is generally advised for patients who are diagnosed with developing or advanced stages of cancer. It might work well when combined with hormone therapy. However, chemo by itself is very unlikely to cure prostate cancer.
Treatment possible ensures best prostate cancer treatment in India with affordable cost from top ten cancer hospital in India.
The approximate Cost of Chemotherapy per cycle is USD 450.
Radiotherapy: Radiotherapy uses high energized rays to kill cancer cells. There are 5 types of radiotherapy used in treating prostate cancer.
- External beam radiation therapy (x-rays are focused on the tumor to destroy cancer cells)
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (Uses CT scan to know the size of the cancer tumor and high energized rays are directed towards the cancerous areas, without damaging nearby organs)
- Proton beam therapy (Where protons are used to destroy cancer cells)
- Brachytherapy (a radioactive source is directly inserted into the prostate cancer area to generate heat and destroy cancer cell)
- Radium-223 (Radioactive elements are directly delivered to tumors in bone, without harming healthy tissues)
The approximate radiation therapy cost in India is USD 2500 - 5000.
Hormone therapy or ADT: This therapy reduces the growth of cancer cells by controlling the male sex hormones. Also known as ADT or Androgen deprivation therapy, hormone therapy is used to treat recurring and metastatic prostate cancer. As a combination of surgery, it ensures the elimination of any cancer cells that may be present in the lymph nodes.
Vaccine or immunotherapy: Immunotherapy is used to boost the immune system of the body to fight cancer. Sipuleucel –T is a cancer vaccine used to treat advanced prostate cancer.
Surgeries: Surgery involves the removal of the cancerous tumor along with healthy tissues. It is advised based on the stage of the prostate cancer. There are three types of prostate cancer surgeries such as:
- Radical prostatectomy (involves the removal of entire prostate cancer cells along seminal vesicles)
- Laparoscopic prostatectomy (a minimally invasive surgery that removes the prostate gland and healthy tissues using image-guided techniques)
- Cryosurgery (involves freezing of cancer cells with the help of metal probe inserted through a small incision between the skin sacs of testicles)
Active surveillance: This treatment is about monitoring the prostate cancer closely. This involves a few frequent tests like PSA blood tests, DRE and prostate biopsies once every six months or year. The doctor may suggest some treatment options if they notice any variation in the test results.
Watchful waiting: This is the option that is usually recommended for older men who are suffering from prostate cancer. There are no tests in this. However, the treatment is advised only if the patient faces any symptoms such as pain or urinary tract blockage.
Side Effects & Risks
Most side effects of prostate cancer treatment are temporary and will disappear once the treatment is completed. However, there are a few side effects that might stay on for longer periods of time.
- After or during the prostate cancer surgery, the patient might face some anesthetic reaction, bleeding near surgical area, blood clots in lungs and liver or infection. It can also affect the normal sexual functions of the patient.
- Radiotherapy side effects include diarrhea, increase in urinary urge, fatigue, vomiting, burning sensation or pain. While these are temporary, impotency is one side effect that is of a permanent nature.
- Hormone therapy generates side effects like loss of sexual desire, weight gain, depression, impotence, and gynecomastia.
- The temporary side effects of chemotherapy include fatigue, indigestion, hair loss, vomiting, constipation and blood disorders.
- Under the Vaccine therapy, patients may experience side effects such as fever, fatigue, joint pain, and headache.
Preparing for Prostate cancer Treatment
You may be advised to undergo a few tests in order to find out the stage of prostate cancer you are in and determine how much of cancer has spread to your nearby organs. These tests include:
- PSA test
- DRE test
- Transrectal ultrasound
- Bone scan
- CT scan
- Urinary tests & so on
The treatment plan would be recommended after observing the results of these tests. You may need to quit smoking and drinking alcohol during and after the treatment. It is good to inform your doctor about any ailments or allergies you may have or about any kind of medications you may be taking. This will help him take proper precautions so as to avoid complications during or after the prostate cancer treatment.
What to expect after Prostate Cancer Treatment?
Follow-up care is the most crucial thing after the prostate cancer treatment. This might involve a physical examination and a few tests to monitor the growth of cancerous cells if any.
Results of prostate cancer treatment
New advanced technology treatments are being discovered year after year to cure cases of prostate cancer completely. Getting it diagnosed early and following the doctor’s instructions carefully can prove to be very fruitful in the treatment of prostate cancer. A few lifestyle changes can also contribute towards achieving better results when it comes to prostate cancer treatment.
For an early response from a case manager, Medical History and Diagnostic Reports can be sent to [email protected]. About almost for a decade, Treatment Possible has been doing and so assures you with wonderful experience along Expertise of Medical Tourism in India. Treatment Possible invites you for a Free Consultation with the chosen Top Prostate Cancer specialist in India with the assurance of hassle-free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay.